Henson 9000 Perimeter

Support material

How can we help you?

These pages are for current users of the Henson 9000 Perimeter. User manuals, software downloads and frequently asked questions relating to the product are all available here.

If you are a prospective user searching for more information about the Henson 9000, please visit the product pages or take a look at the technical profile here.

If you cannot find what you are looking for, please Contact Us.

(The Henson 9000 is the replacement for the Henson 8000, now discontinued.)

visual field screening, visual field analysis, ZATA test

Support material

How can we help you?

These pages are for current users of the Henson 9000 Perimeter. User manuals, software downloads and frequently asked questions relating to the product are all available here.

If you are a prospective user searching for more information about the Henson 9000, please visit the product pages or take a look at the technical profile here.

If you cannot find what you are looking for, please Contact Us.

(The Henson 9000 is the replacement for the Henson 8000, now discontinued.)

visual field analysis, glaucoma test, visual field screening

Software

Current version: 4.0 (with new Smart Supra test)

Version 4.0 for Henson 9000 is licensed software for which an upgrade fee is payable.

V 4.0 incorporates major changes to the graphical user interface (GUI) for more efficient use in day-to-day practice along with Professor David Henson’s unique new visual field test ‘Smart Supra’ – combining 24-2 and 10-2 test patterns in a ~3.5 minute test for high sensitivity, specificity and speed. (For more information on Smart Supra see our new Henson 9000 brochure.)

The V 4.0 download below will work for 30 days before a licence key is required to formally register your purchase. The software is fully functional during this grace period.

Please note: as Smart Supra is a new test and not available on previous versions of Henson 9000 software it is not backwards compatible with previous Henson supra-threshold tests. Please ensure that you take a backup of the Henson 9000 database before installing Version 4.0 software in case an uninstall is required at a later date.

Please contact your local distributor for Version 4.0 pricing information.

Software release notes

This release note refers to version 4.0 of the Henson 9000 software for Windows 7/8/10.

Software version

Henson 9000  Version 4.0

New features

New GUI

  • Devices and software have been rebranded as Elektron Eye Technology
  • ‘Right’ and ‘Left’ labels have been replaced by OD and OS respectively
  • In new Smart Supra test, the main test controls are grouped together in ‘Test Settings’ tab and less frequently used controls are in a separate tab called ‘Device Settings’.

New Smart Supra test has replaced previous supra-threshold test

  • Smart Supra enhances sensitivity and specificity by using points from 24-2 and 10-2 test patterns and allows easy re-testing or adding of points for improved spatial mapping
  • The 3 levels of testing are: a revised 26 point screening pattern, a 54 point 24-2 pattern and an 86 point test combining the 10-2 central field with the 24-2 test pattern
  • The supra-threshold increment is now set according to the variability found at each location allowing it to test at levels which have a 95, 98 and 99% probability of being seen (instead of the fixed 5, 8 and 12 dB levels used in previous versions). An explanation of the settings is as follows:
    • P > 5% means that there is a 95% chance that this point is normal (this is equivalent to the “Seen” on previous versions)
    • P < 5% means that there is a LESS than 5% chance that this point is normal (95% chance that it is not normal)
    • P < 2% means that there is a LESS than 2% chance that it is normal (98% chance that it is not normal) and
    • P < 1% means there is a LESS than 1% chance it is normal (99% chance it is not normal)
  • Patient instructions have been modified to alert the patient that not all stimulus presentations will be at the same intensity
  • The ability to retest and add stimulus points has been improved, including the following features: the cursor will “snap” to the available test locations, the intensity of the presentation will be automatically calculated and the current testing level (Screen, 24-2 or 24-2+10-2) is displayed
  • Different start criteria can now be set for the single stimulus and multiple stimulus tests separately, in the Options program
  • Smart Supra printouts now include pattern deviation and total deviation probability maps similar to those produced by threshold testing using the 24-2 and 10-2 test locations
  • Smart Supra saving – it is now possible to select the patient from the database when saving a Smart Supra test

Database improvements

  • The database in the Henson software has been modified to improve the performance of the tree view with large databases
  • Improved search capability
  • Improved image creation
  • Additional languages, Chinese, French, German, Italian, Spanish (latam and peninsular), Portuguese (Brazilian and normal) Japanese, Norwegian
Bug fixes
  • Missing practice management integration data is now handled correctly
  • VA format now displaying correctly
  • Restart option now works in Madexcep
  • Start new patient and then cancel no longer closes field test
  • Henson disconnected is now detected
  • On-screen keyboard caps lock now tracks keyboard setting
  • Currently selected year no longer partially obscured on drop down list
  • Software version stored with field record and placed on printout footer
  • Brightness UP now working in MSSP
  • Improvements to database handling and error messages
  • Presentation rate can now change in demo phase
  • Separate options introduced for SSSP and MSSP
  • Improved loading of large datasets into database
  • Inter-stimulus interval no longer incorrectly updates on a keyboard Y press
  • Excel import form help button is now working
  • SSSP cursor control no longer allows red circle outside of the target circle
  • ZATA can now extend if a test is finished
  • MSSP start extended
  • Improvements to enable directories can be changed whilst the programme is running
  • Improvements to database to enable correct operation if print pdf is still open
  • Auto create images
  • Not responding restart button restarts SSSP test
  • Options no longer allows backup database to be set as defaul
  • Option setting defines whether a Progression PDF is created
Supported platforms

This software has been tested on computers running Microsoft Windows® Professional, Versions 7, 8 & 10.

Software dependencies

The software requires that the FTDI USB driver for the Henson hardware is pre-loaded in Windows (i.e. the hardware has been plugged in at least once). The software operates independently of other software but a PDF viewer will be required to view printouts.

Known issues
  • Progression analysis does not run if two tests are performed on the same day
  • First press on chinrest button does nothing on certain touchscreens
  • Bulgarian date format causes errors in tests
  • If database is sorted by record number before progression the wrong name is used when creating the image
  • DICOM images that already exist cause an issue

Download information

For MS Windows® Professional, Versions 7, 8 & 10.

Download Version 4.0

Previous versions

For MS Windows® Professional, v. 7, and above.

Version 3.7

Download here

Version 3.6

Download here

Version 3.5

Download here

Version 3.4

Download here.

Version 3.3

Download here.

Version 3.1

Download here.

Version 4.0 software (Upgrade from May 2018)

Version 4.0 software upgrade for Henson 9000 includes a major new graphical user interface (GUI), designed to enhance user experience along with Smart Supra, a unique new field test using probability-based supra-threshold increments and increased sampling in the central ten degrees.

Register your interest now or read more below.

Updated Version 4.0 software user interface showing new Smart Supra test.

Introducing Smart Supra

The best of supra-threshold and threshold perimetry combined

Smart Supra is unique supra-threshold algorithm designed to provide a solution to the 3 main problems affecting visual field tests today…

Smart Supra increases sensitivity to shallow defects in the central ten degrees of the field by using probability-based supra-threshold increments, as opposed to the fixed ones used in standard supra-threshold tests.

The use of probability-based increments means that the supra-threshold increment increases with eccentricity, accounting for the known issue of increased variability at eccentric locations. Including test points from both 24-2 and 10-2 test patterns further increases the likelihood of detecting small central defects that can be missed with the 24-2 test pattern when used in isolation¹.

As a result, Smart Supra is fast. Its 26 point initial phase (sufficient to screen low risk patients) can be completed in under a minute, whilst the 24-2 plus 10-2 test pattern (86 points) takes around 3.5 minutes*. (The same patterns would take closer to 10 minutes to complete on a standard threshold test.)

3 PROBLEMS
with current visual field tests for glaucoma

  1. High variability at moderate to severely damaged test locations (<20 dB)² ³ [Fig.1, below]
  2. Poor sensitivity to small central defects when testing with the 24-2 test pattern¹
  3. Long test times only get longer with the inclusion of more test locations
Henson Smart Supra Fig.1
Test re-test variability at different levels of loss, redrawn from Gardiner [3]

3 SOLUTIONS
from Smart Supra

  1. Smart Supra replaces the need to test at locations below 20dB where variability is so high that meaningful measures of threshold are not attainable [Fig.1, above] by setting the threshold increment according to the normal variability found at each location, allowing it to test at levels which have a 95, 98 and 99% probability of being seen [Fig.2, below].
  2. Smart Supra uniquely incorporates a 10-2 test pattern in response to recent research showing that small central defects can be missed by 24-2 field tests¹.
  3. Smart Supra is fast even with three levels of testing. Its easy, in-test extension from 26 points (~1 min.), to 24-2, then 24-2 plus 10-2 (3.5 mins.), as required, allows Smart Supra to test more points in less time.
Henson Smart Supra Fig.2
Fig.2: Test levels based on 95, 98 and 99% probability of being seen by an age-matched eye with no visual field loss

REASONS TO UPGRADE
to Version 4.0 software

Updated Version 4.0 software user interface showing new Smart Supra test.
  1. Improved practice efficiency – redesigned interfaces make tests easier to setup, run and save; virtual tree view allows patient records to be found more quickly
  2. New Smart Supra test – uniquely intelligent algorithm enables a 24-2 plus 10-2 test to be done in ~3.5 mins; standard screening test takes less than 1 minute*
  3. Fewer false referrals – minimising admin for high street optometrists, lessening the burden on hospital eye services  and reducing impact on quality of life for patients
Detail from new Smart Supra printout including 10-2 test pattern points.

When is it available?

Version 4.0 will be available to existing Henson 9000 users as a chargeable upgrade from May 2018. Register your interest now.

REFERENCES

¹ De Moraes CG, Hood DC, Thenappan A, Girkin CA, Medeiros FA, Weinreb RN, Zangwill LM, Liebmann JM. 24-2 Visual Fields Miss Central Defects Shown on 10-2 Tests in Glaucoma Suspects, Ocular Hypertensives, and Early Glaucoma. Ophthalmology. 2017 Oct;124(10):1449-1456.
PMID: 28551166

² Henson DB, Chaudry S, Artes PH, Faragher EB, Ansons A. Response variability in the visual field: comparison of optic neuritis, glaucoma, ocular hypertension, and normal eyes. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2000 Feb;41(2):417-21.
PubMed PMID: 10670471

³ Gardiner SK, Swanson WH, Goren D, Mansberger SL, Demirel S. Assessment of the reliability of standard automated perimetry in regions of glaucomatous damage. Ophthalmology. 2014 Jul;121(7):1359-69.
PMID: 24629617

* Test times are approximations only and will differ according to patient response time and level of loss.

Documentation

Quick Start Guide

All you need for a quick, hassle-free setup

Henson 9000 Quick Start Guide

User Manuals

Click on the relevant version number to download.

 

Language  Version no.
English 1.5 1.6 1.7
Chinese 1.7
French 1.7
German 1.7
Italian 1.7
Japanese 1.7
Norwegian 1.7
Portuguese 1.5 1.7
Portuguese (Br) 1.7
Spanish 1.7
Spanish (LatAm) 1.7

Frequently Asked Questions

I cannot see the Henson camera on the test screen, only the feed from the computer’s built in webcam - what should I do?

If the laptop or computer has a built in webcam of its own then this, rather than the Henson camera, may initially be displayed on the test screen. To override this, the Henson camera needs to be selected in the Henson Options program.

Close all Henson software and run the Options program from the desktop shortcut.

Click ‘No’ to the opening message and click on the Video tab. The picture from the currently selected video device will be visible. To change it, click the dropdown box next to the video and select the other camera. The feed from the Henson camera should now be visible.

If there is no alternative camera listed in the dropdown then check that the USB cables from the rear of the Henson are both connected to the controlling computer (or a suitable powered USB hub).

The chinrest does not stop when I release the on-screen button using a touchscreen - what is wrong?

First of all, try operating the on-screen button using a standard mouse. If it works correctly then the touchscreen settings will need adjusting.

The issue may be that your touchscreen is not set up to replicate a mouse. This may be a setting on the touch screen software or in the Windows Control Panel.

Go to the Mouse section of Control Panel and turn off any right click events as these can be automatically triggered after one or two seconds of pressing and holding down a button.

If this does not solve the problem, then please contact your service agent for further information. You can find your local service agent via our Distributors page.

There appear to be a loss of communication between my computer and the Henson 9000 bowl...

If you can see the feed from the Henson camera on screen but are still getting messages about the Henson not being connected then check that the two USB cables from the rear of the Henson are both plugged into the computer (or a powered USB hub).

Open the Henson Options program from the Desktop shortcut, answer ‘No’ to the initial question and click on the Computer tab. There should be a device listed in the box shown below

Screen

It will not be called ‘Henson’ but if it is listed then check that the ‘Software only’ box is not ticked.

If it is then untick it and click the Save button.

I'm receiving a message about FT device I/O error - what's the issue?

This is usually caused by a conflict with another piece of equipment using the same USB chipset as the Henson. A common one is the IR receiver for the Thompson test chart which uses a very old USB driver and can cause issues.

The process to fix it is as follows:

  1. Disconnect your computer from the Internet.
  2. Open Control Panel from the Start menu.
  3. Click on Device Manager.
  4. Expand the Universal Serial Bus (USB) controllers option.
  5. Locate the two relevant USB devices.
  6. Unplug the Henson 7000 USB lead and one device should disappear
  7. Right click on the remaining device and select Uninstall.
  8. A message will appear – tick the box that says ‘Remove driver software from this computer’.
  9. Click the Search button on the toolbar at the top of the Device Manager window (it looks like a magnifying glass). The device will reappear.
  10. Repeat the uninstall process – each time ticking the “Remove driver software from this computer” box until the device does not reappear or you get a message stating that a driver cannot be found.
  11. Unplug the infrared (IR) receiver USB cable.
  12. Plug in the Henson USB cable. It may find a driver. If it does not then run the program CDM20824_Setup.exe from the C:\Henson7000\Install files\ folder. This is a USB driver and will prompt windows to sort out the new hardware.
  13. Once the driver has loaded run the Henson Options program, select the listed USB device in the Computer tab and click ‘Save’.
  14. Now plug in the IR receiver USB lead and it will use the updated Henson driver.
  15. You can now restore your Internet connection.

Remote support

In the event that you have any problems with your Henson, it is often possible for us to remote view your PC/control device in order to fix issues online.

To do this we require that the control device you are using is connected to the internet and has a remote access program running. You can download the remote client using this link. Once it is installed on your device, give the service technician the ID number and s/he will be able to view your machine and offer advice on the issue.

Parts and accessories

Please contact your local agent for questions about parts and accessories.

Find your local agent’s contact details quickly via our Distributors page.

Service

Your Henson 9000 has a two year warranty from the date of installation. If your unit is still within its warranty period please contact your local agent who will be able to help you. You can find your local agent’s contact details quickly via our Distributors page.

If your Henson is outside its warranty period, your local agent should still be your first port of call. However, if they cannot be of assistance, then please contact the UK Service Department via service@elektroneyetechnology.com